Another try, another way.
Rita Mae Brown is said to have said , "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Appreciating the randomness of complexity, this doesn't sit completely well with me, but I appreciate the sentiment: I've tried for years to stay engaged with writing (storytelling, really) and the same old approach ("Gee, I need to write more!") hasn't resulted in a completed project yet.
How many stories have I started over the years? Close to a dozen, that's certain. I have ideas I think are interesting and that interest me, but the energy fizzles when a life-event comes along, or when the time to keep up with it evaporates. When the opportunity to write returns, the muse/idea/thread of what I was thinking has left and I start yet another story another day.
It seems to me that one reason for this is that writing keeps getting bumped to the backseat. As a peripheral exercise, it is easy to leave it for more important things. Moving it to the center, according to writers like Dave Barry and Stephen King, is the key to actually finishing something.
Also, writing seems very solitary and I'm not good at solitary.
Let's try something new together. Writing will take more central importance in my life and I'll share that with my family and friends. Chapters and sections will come out to be read before the completion of the work(s) so the act of writing will be more social and less lonesome.
It seems like a good idea to me, so let's give it a try.
The story that follows started last year as one of those fantastical somebody finds something extraordinary that alters the balance of everything tales but in turning it over in my head since then, it has grown into something deeper and a little darker but interesting at least to me. While our apparent protagonist will indeed find something fantastical that threatens to alter the balance of everything, it is much more about what it does to him and those he cares about than it is about altering mankind. That's all I'll say for now. Read it as it comes if you want to know more.
People who know me will recognize certain themes and events. In previous stories, I've worked hard to keep my own experiences out so that readers who know me "wouldn't get the wrong idea." I think that is one of the many reasons why I haven't stayed with those old stories... they're too far away from the things I care about to maintain my attention. So, this time I'm using personal life experience where I feel it advances the story and where it feels interesting. Some of these experiences are funny and others most definitely aren't. If you recognize something, don't look for hidden messages or meaning. I'm just telling a story. And while some events are inspired by real experiences, the story is just that. A story. In the context of a story, real experiences become fiction too. I'm just making this stuff up.
One note about using blogs for this kind of thing: The most recent entries are always on top. So if you need to catch up, read each post from the bottom up.
Contradicting that note, sections 1 and 2 follow... I intend to post more regularly.
How many stories have I started over the years? Close to a dozen, that's certain. I have ideas I think are interesting and that interest me, but the energy fizzles when a life-event comes along, or when the time to keep up with it evaporates. When the opportunity to write returns, the muse/idea/thread of what I was thinking has left and I start yet another story another day.
It seems to me that one reason for this is that writing keeps getting bumped to the backseat. As a peripheral exercise, it is easy to leave it for more important things. Moving it to the center, according to writers like Dave Barry and Stephen King, is the key to actually finishing something.
Also, writing seems very solitary and I'm not good at solitary.
Let's try something new together. Writing will take more central importance in my life and I'll share that with my family and friends. Chapters and sections will come out to be read before the completion of the work(s) so the act of writing will be more social and less lonesome.
It seems like a good idea to me, so let's give it a try.
The story that follows started last year as one of those fantastical somebody finds something extraordinary that alters the balance of everything tales but in turning it over in my head since then, it has grown into something deeper and a little darker but interesting at least to me. While our apparent protagonist will indeed find something fantastical that threatens to alter the balance of everything, it is much more about what it does to him and those he cares about than it is about altering mankind. That's all I'll say for now. Read it as it comes if you want to know more.
People who know me will recognize certain themes and events. In previous stories, I've worked hard to keep my own experiences out so that readers who know me "wouldn't get the wrong idea." I think that is one of the many reasons why I haven't stayed with those old stories... they're too far away from the things I care about to maintain my attention. So, this time I'm using personal life experience where I feel it advances the story and where it feels interesting. Some of these experiences are funny and others most definitely aren't. If you recognize something, don't look for hidden messages or meaning. I'm just telling a story. And while some events are inspired by real experiences, the story is just that. A story. In the context of a story, real experiences become fiction too. I'm just making this stuff up.
One note about using blogs for this kind of thing: The most recent entries are always on top. So if you need to catch up, read each post from the bottom up.
Contradicting that note, sections 1 and 2 follow... I intend to post more regularly.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home